Saturday, February 20, 2010

yummy stuff....

OK, I went to this great restaurant in Raleigh, but I was too busy stuffing my face to take a picture!  This is someone's belly button, who shall remain anonymous - yes, you know who you are darling, but no one else ever shall!  It is a little odd when talking about a restaurant but the place was trendy and different and the tatoo is exotic enough - all food ends up in our belly anyway right?

Anyway, this place was called BuKu - as we say "merci beaucoup" thanks very much....http://www.bukuraleigh.com/
as it describes itself - "Global Street Food".

The ambience is sophisticated but not stuffy and the staff is very formal and accommodating.  My friend and I split 4 tapas or sides, but I would suggest 3 to a person next time.  The portions are small. 

The first thing we split was a BBQ Pork Bun, I don't usually eat pork but my friend ordered it:  The bun had a thick, almost uncooked texture, but it was light and simple enough it didn't take away from the bbq which was just sweet enough - my favorite of this however, was the shredded cucumer tangy salad that came with it.  The Beer Braised Chicken Pierogis (5 to a serving) were next, these were lovely half moons, just browned on the sides enough to be crispy but remaining chewy.  Next the Jade prawns, were cooked perfectly and served with a green mixture on a huge bamboo ( I think ) leaf...Lastly and my favorite was the beef tataki.  These strips of beef had the strongest most fresh flavor - somewhere between teriyaki and roast beef jus...it came with a pickled cabbage that was very off putting in it's texture ( think: skin like ) but quite tasty.

You would think that I was crazy for food - but I really am not.  It just always amazes me what people think up for the distinguishing (or not so much) tastes.  I enjoyed this chefs' efforts: William D’Auvray. 

PS - Have a martini with dinner....the bar has a wall of running water in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment